A friend was recently lamenting the fact that her dogs were out of their minds with this rainy weather. I couldn’t help but think back to last winter when my own pooch was chomping at the bit for a little exercise, unable to go on her regular walks due to snowy weather. That was when I wrote this post, How to Exercise Your Dog When It’s Cold, and I have put many of the tips in that article to practice. Whether you're trapped inside due to freezing weather, quarantine or rain, these tips will help ensure your pet stays healthy mentally and physically!
Introduce new dog toys
Amidst the suggestions of running the stairs, playing dog tag, and visiting the local dog park, was the tip to provide your dog with mental stimulation. Introducing a new toy or game to your dog can mix things up a bit and provide a refreshing change to your dog’s everyday routine. So, what’s new in the dog world when it comes to toys? Here are a few…
- Hide-A-Squirrel - This fun puzzle game will let your dog put his natural hunting instincts to work! Small openings means your dog has to work harder to pull the stuffed squirrels from the toy! Make this game even tougher by hiding the squirrels around the house for your pup to find!
- Spot IQ Puzzle - This one got rave reviews. One pet owner said her senior dog looks forward to playing with the puzzle every morning. She says, “If I forget to do it . . . she stands in the kitchen by the treats I put in there and just stares at me! Best dog toy I ever bought.” Sounds like a winner to me!
- WobbleWag Giggle Ball - This ball not only makes enticing sounds to attract your dog's attention, but it has easy an easy to hold design so it can be used as a fetching toy as well!
Fun technology for pet owners
Now that we’ve recommended some toys for your pooch, let’s take a look at some fun, new gadgets for the pet lover.
- PetNet SmartBowl - The scale on this portion-control bowl allows you to know the ideal healthy serving based on your dog or cat’s breed, age, and weight. You can also download an app that will enable you to track daily intake and set feeding alerts.
- Fetching Machine - If your dog loves to chase balls around the house or back yard, but you quickly get tired of throwing the ball, this gadget may be for you!
- Pet Camera - Curious what your pet gets up to when you're away from home or even when you're just in the other room? There are many pet cameras on the market to let you get a sneak peak into how your pet spends their time when you're not around!
Improving pet health
Interested in ways to make pet ownership easier? Pet owners who enroll in a pet insurance policy with PetPartners can look forward to easy to use tools to aid in keeping pets feeling their best! Not only does a pet insurance policy help to make quality vet care affordable, but the easy to use portal makes submitting claims faster! Additionally, the 24/7 vet helpline gives policyholders access to veterinary professionals who can answer pet health questions any time of day or night!