A friend was recently lamenting the fact that her dogs were out of their minds with this rainy weather. I couldn’t help but think back to last winter when my own pooch was chomping at the bit for a little exercise, unable to go on her regular walks due to snowy weather. That was when I wrote this post, How to Exercise Your Dog When It’s Cold, and I have put many of the tips in that article to practice.
Amidst the suggestions of running the stairs, playing dog tag, and visiting the local dog park, was the tip to provide your dog with mental stimulation. Introducing a new toy or game to your dog can mix things up a bit and provide a refreshing change to your dog’s everyday routine. So, what’s new in the dog world when it comes to toys? Here are a few…
- Spindrift Dog Disks--These frisbee type toys are made out of the same material used in river rafting. The dry sack material of the fabric disks allows them to float, fly, and stand up to your dog’s most vigorous chewing.
- Spot IQ Puzzle--This one got rave reviews. One pet owner said her senior dog looks forward to playing with the puzzle every morning. She says, “If I forget to do it . . . she stands in the kitchen by the treats I put in there and just stares at me! Best dog toy I ever bought.” Sounds like a winner to me!
- Highwave Auto Dog Mug--Taking your bundle of energy to the dog park and need to hydrate? Fill this dog mug with water, pop it in your cup holder, and take your dog’s water to go! The bowl connected to the top fills with water when you squeeze the bottle, so your dog can drink comfortably. When you release the bottle, any water remaining in the bowl drains back into the bottle.
Now that we’ve recommended some toys for your pooch, let’s take a look at some fun, new gadgets for the pet lover.
- PetNet SmartBowl-- The scale on this portion-control bowl allows you to know the ideal healthy serving based on your dog or cat’s breed, age, and weight. You can also download an app that will enable you to track daily intake and set feeding alerts.
- I’m Gizmo Walking System--A dog leash handle with an attachable flashlight and poop bags? Yes, please! The Gizmo Walking System allows you to attach your leash to a comfortable handle, and add on one or two connectables (flashlight, doggie bags, treat container). You can even attach two leashes so you can walk two dogs at once.
- Ruffwear Roamer Leash--The unique webbing of this leash gives your dog room to roam and absorbs some of the shock if he pulls. The leash can also be worn around your waist or secured to a post or a tree.
Even if you are not interested in any of these hot new items for your own furry family, I can see several of these toys and gadgets making fantastic stocking stuffers. It’s never too early to start your holiday shopping!